Martin H. Eastburn

Yesterday, I was turning in the garage, temp. about 90, and the lathe
suddenly slowed way down. My first thought was a brown-out, but
everything else ran to proper speed.

Motor case was very hot to the touch. This AM the lathe runs but
hand friction on the wheel can stop it with little effort.

So, did I cook the motor?

If I replace the motor, should I replace the capacitor as well?

HELP!

Joe

rookie turner -

Consider what the caps do - when functional they phase shift the voltage from the
current and in that process the Impedance (AC resistance of the circuit) drops.
If the cap, the run cap as suggested - I concur, gets to hot and expands - then shorts -
the short cap then allows current, but with the motor winding by itself the impedance
or ac resistance of the winding is to high to allow enough current to flow that
allows fast turning. Slow turning shuts off cooling and can burn a winding if let
go. I'd replace both Start and Run caps - then you will have the right one for
sure - but if they are of the same manufacturer maybe the same issue will occur
or has as well. Maybe leaking means slower starting but not noticed.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life