bf

Steve DeMars wrote:
Poured a slab (7) years ago for a general purpose "shop". Not necessarily
woodworking. Never built the shop, threat of moving kept me from doing so.
Now (7) years later I want to get into woodworking & there sits that slab.
It's 22' long by 20' wide. . . Can I operate a woodworking shop without
"everything on wheels in that amount of space. Would be like to build
bookcases, smoking stands, tables of all sizes & some cabinets. Do I need to
pour more slab?

Hi Steve,

I have approximately your size for my working area in the basement.
Actually, mine is a bit narrower than 20' I didn't want my tablesaw on
wheels, so I put that in the middle of the length, put against a wall.
Put the fence side of the tablesaw against the wall. Leave enough room
for 8' in front of the saw and 8' out of the saw. Ideally, of course,
more is better, but that's the minimum. Then on the outfeed side of the
saw, I built and outfeed table slightly bigger than 8' by 4'. I store
all my sheet goods below it. It's also a work table for gluing stuff
up, etc. The planer and other desktop tools get pulled off the shelf
and used on that table. I have a lathe and drill press against another
wall, away from the saw. I did put my bandsaw, jointer, and drum sander
on mobile bases.. but it's really not that much of a pain to move them
around.

It can be done in your space. You might have to compromise and put a
few things on mobile bases though. I'd never put the table saw on a
mobile base unless I was extremely tight on space though. I'm sure it's
safe, but it's a PITA, because that's the one tool you use a lot. You
probably have enough additional space (compared to me) to not have to
put your bandsaw on wheels.

I have the following:

Table Saw - Delta Contractors with Biesemeyer 30" Fence
Drill Press - Delta 20" 70-200
Grinder on stand - Delta 8"
Air Compressor - vertical tank - Ingersoll Rand - 2HP
Hand power tools - drills, saws, etc . . (no specialized woodworking like
biscuit cutters)

Will buy eventually . . . wish list to be acquired over (2) year period

Miter Saw
Band Saw - large
Jointer
Planer
Router Table ( will build )
Dust Collector - (cyclone type
Lathe
Work Bench (will build )

Will it fit and work or do I "need" more slab . . . . suggestions please . .
. I figure I get one shot at this . . .