bremen68

Graph paper works great for doing your layout. Gives you a good idea
for what space you have to work with and how much space your tools will
take up. You can usually get all the dimensions from a catalog or
website too.

With a little planning you'll be surprised at how much you can fit into
a smaller space.....

Don't forget to consider how much distance you need for the piece to
exit equipment as well as what you need to feed it in......My neighbor
put his jointer in a spot that I thought was crazy, there was no room
on the feed side for anything longer than a three foot board......When
I asked him to do an 8 foot board for me he saw my face, and just
laughed, took out the window and we had plenty of room....

I realize you don't want to have everything on wheels, but maybe having
one or two of them on casters would solve a problem for more of
them....being able to wheel your compressor around is never a bad
thing. Depending of course on how big it is.....

A few things I did.........I put my grinder on a fold down
table........Mounted it to a piece of plywood and mounted that to the
wall with two heavy duty hinges.....When I don't need it it folds down
and my compressor sits in front of it. I'm planning on putting a dove
tail jig on a similar set up, but instead of hinging up and down it
will pivot like a door on the wall.....When it swings into place two
drop in bars will lock it tight....finish up and fold it back out of
the way.

One other thing.........No matter how much planing you do.......It's
NEVER going to be big enough....No matter what you build you'll always
wish you had just one more foot here or there. :-)

Oh yeah......Don't spare the plugs.....put em everywhere........

Good luck........