DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

#422 is plainly a sundial/compass combination. The compass
would be used to align the gnomen to due south.

But what is the function of the second gnomen/dial on the
opposite side of the compass? A moondial?

My guess is that it is for the southern hemisphere. The shadow
would rotate the opposite direction, so having a second one calibrated
for that would save applying corrections.

I was going to facetiously suggest that, but facetiously suggested a
moondial instead.

ISTM it would be much simpler to put a second set of characters
on the dial for Southern hemisphere use, as opposed to another
entire dial. Besides, it looks like the scale is different on
the two dials.

--

FF