Duane Bozarth

" wrote:

Greetings,

Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the NEC say any join between two wires
must be within an approved and accessible j-box?

Please find a counterexamples at:
http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...o?itemId=49700

and

http://www.jhlarson.com/new_items/IDA/99_idaconn.htm
"
The Underground™ connectors can be used without a junction box and in
many cases eliminate the need for heat-shrink, resin packs or
multi-piece corrosion kits. They're perfect for decorative landscape
lighting, lawn sprinkler control systems, sump and well pump
installations and many other direct burial applications.
"

Hope this helps,
William

PS: I don't know what the NEC says about using underground connectors
NOT underground but the point is that the NEC doesn't require ALL
connected wires to be in junction boxes. Perhaps I am SOL inside a
wall.

Connectors which allow connections within masonry / concrete without a
junction box might also be helpful.

Those aren't "counterexamples" at all of what you asked about.

The NEC does require all in-wall connections to be accessible and in a
junction box accessible w/o having to mar the finish. What is allowed
underground or external has no bearing on the question posed.