The Natural Philosopher

Default Chemical sink + drain unblockers - any good?

Pet wrote:
Abso wrote:

My washing m/c, which is connected for drainage at the kitchen sink has
just *almost* flooded the kitchen by means of overfilling the sink when
draining. Now I'm no expert, but that tells me there's a blockage
between the sink and the main drain.

FWIW, We are totally re-furb'ing our 1970's house.
In the process of removing all plumbing and waste pipes from sink, we
found the problem of slowly draining sink caused by a 97% blocked waste
pipe from the sink to the soil pipe, this was over the entire length (a
good 4m of pipe)!

No drian cleaner or other would have cleaned that lot out, and the smell
was beyound belief!

You would be surprised.

Once any caustic gets in to that section, it eats away at the muck. Then
the flow rate goes up, and any loose stuff is washed away . Further
applications of caustic then get into the mess at high strength, and
start to boil and gas there blowing still further amounts of sludge in
both directions.

If there is ANY flow at all, hot caustic is the first technique to try.

Has anyone tried "jet blasting" heavily soiled waste pipes?