DRM

Default Building steps for an attached deck

Hello all,

I'm trying to finish up my attached deck. The deck surface is 3 feet
above the ground where I intend to place the steps. My question is, given
that the end of the deck furthest from the wall is supported by three
columns that sit on 4-1/2' concrete piers, do I also need to dig (and pour)
4-1/2' deep holes for each of the three stringers to land on? Or can I get
away with a 6" thick slab? If a slab, what would be the minimum width and
length? Do I have to bolt the bottom og the stringer to the cement or is it
enough to anchor the tops of the stringers to the deck rim joist? Thanks
for any suggestions!