World Traveler

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to :
No, it's at night, pitch black out...

You've left it alone for a full 24 hour cycle, and it doesn't come on
and stay on (according to the DD/2/4/8 setting) consistently on its own?

[I ask, because sometimes the electronics in these things will act
wierd if you try to "by hand" activate the sensor - time delays,
hysteresis etc.]

You may be seeing an overcurrent trip. Count up the number of fixtures,
and, after multiplying by the wattage levels of the lamp, is it less
than the rating of the transformer?

[Most LV bulbs/fixture/transformer "kits" use 4W bulbs, and can be
upgraded
to 7W. High wattage units (10, 20 and even 50W) are available, but these
are usually pretty obvious (usually "pro grade" metal fixtures, sometimes
different bases, more serious enclosures to deal with heat etc).
Most "kit" transformers are around 60W.]

The other possibilities a

- short in the LV circuit. Try pulling all the bulbs (leaving one in)
and see if it still trips.
- defective transformer. The electronics in these things sometimes
fries.
--
Chris Lewis,

In my experience, this problem is most likely caused by a short somewhere in
the 12v line. If you just have too many fixtures, the lights will probably
stay on for a longer time, unless you're WAY over. Suggest this: disconnect
the 12v line from the transformer and substitute a short length of line with
a single 12v light on it. If the light comes on and stays on, your problem
is in the existing length of 12v wiring. If you still have problems, you
have a problem internal to the transformer. (I'm assuming the unit you have
is one of those inexpensive kits that comes with lights and a transformer.
You can buy replacement transformers, with equal or greater wattage, for
relatively little money --). Replacing the buried cable doesn't have to be
expensive, but could be a PITA. Regards --