max-man

On 5 Aug 2005 03:02:26 -0700, wrote:

If it really is a septic tank and not a cess pit,

Ah, good point - how can you tell the difference?

Mine looks to consist of two parts each with a metal cover - one for
the solids, one where the liquid drains off (presumably from the
solids parts). I would GUESS they're both about 10 feet deep and maybe
3 or 4 feet wide.

it really should not
need emptying every year. There should be a somewhat solid crud on the
surface and liquid below. It's best not to disturb this. Biology
works its magic and almost everything solid gets digested. Eventually
there will be some build up of mineral at the bottom from washing the
carrots etc but with normal domestic use this takes a long time. It
has been 15 years since my septic tank was emptied and the products of
a family of six have passed through it. Of course you mustn't put
chemicals that are harmful to bacteria down the drain.

I see. Well, last year I had it drained because although the 'crust'
started off pretty low down (it was a year drained before we moved
into our current property which is now two years ago) - but looking at
it in about October of last year the 'crust' was pretty near the top.

It's now seemingly filling up again - so should I be leaving it?

Perhaps the liquid isn't draining off correctly from the 'solids' part
into that for the liquid residue?