Gunner

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:50:58 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:44:56 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

Im on dialup. Each computer has a modem. If I were on broadband..it
would be easy to set up a firewall/proxy server, and use it also for a
community (household) message board etc etc...but...there is no way Im
gonna pay $49,99 for cable modem, not when I dont even have basic
cable TV service. Cant afford it.

Gunner

I've used a program called WinProxy for years with a dial-up setup in which
we had one computer which was -- more-or-less -- just the proxy server and
the other computers got internet access from it through the home-office
network. In addition to centralizing all problems, the program has
(more-or-less) built-in spam and virus blockers ... AND ... it only costs
one dial-up connection for everyone.

We're using a second (legal) copy of it on a second machine now for the DSL
connection, but our e-mail is still on the dial-up.

To answer your next questions, we have 5 Windows machines, 3 SGI
workstations, and three rack-mounted chassis with removable drives that run
any combination of DOS, Linux, and Windows. The default (and cheapest)
WinProxy license will handle 3 users simultaneously -- but they can be on 3
out of as many machines as you have as long as no more then 3 are actively
communicating with the server. They have other licenses for 5, 10, and many
more users too.

Norm

I was using Proxy +. very powerful, very versitile. Something of
learning curve due to its many features. But on a dialup...after the
second computer goes on line..things get really really slow.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli