IMM

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 01:24:56 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 01:02:34 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Just because Wimpy is not building them doesn't mean they are not cost
effective. They are.

Could it be that people don't *want* them I wonder?

What a stupid thing to say.

Not really.

It was very stupid.

Could it be that no one has heard of them?

The problem is that the marketing
and designs have been really poor.
The impression of most people
is that eco-houses are futuristic
designs using unfamiliar materials
and pushed by the beards and
sandals brigade.

Most people have never heard or seen one. Ab eco hous ecan look much like
any other house.

One can argue on the merits and
demerits of that impression, but it's
the case.

It isn't. The reason why we don't see major developers building them is
that like the major car companies, they don't want change. They are making
millions by pushing outdated technology which they are familiar with.

I think that if you were to survey
people in the street, you would
find that most look for the conventional,
traditional and "safe" bet.

If there are two similar priced and
sized houses and one has no hearting bills,
which one do you think people will go for?
Now think hard about this and I
hope you don't have brainache in the process.

There's no need to think a great deal on this one.

There isn't at all.

You should read what was written..

"She was out to build a "low" energy house that cost no more to build than
others. She succeeded. It has a heating system of 3 rads and high thermal
mass with a PV roof too. It is about 5-6 years old now and if she did it
today I'm sure she would do it differently. She does mention what would
improve the house."

The house was clad in the local stone and looked pretty well much like all
the others around.

"The economics DO add up. She built a low energy house to the local
vernacular (built to last 500 years) and spent no more than building an
energy sucking house. Deveci in Scotland has done the same. There must be
over 1000 very low energy homes now in the UK."

"Just because Wimpy is not building them doesn't mean they are not cost
effective. They are."

"See ECO-House A Design Guide by Sue Roaf."

The point is that it does not cost any more to build an eco house than any
other, as one poster repeated asserted, who obviously knows nothing of them,
not how people perceive matters or how luddite builders view matters.