AlexW

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
writes:

Sounds too heavy, and too much work to lift it.
I use a commercially made compactor (£1 in an auction). This is a 6"
square cast iron plate attached to a 1 1/2" steel rod. Because it's
relatively light (compared to your concrete dustbin-o-doom) I can jump
it up in the air easily, quickly and repeatedly over and over. With
your heavyweight I'd get a good squish from each blow, but I'd not be
able to use it continually or for anything like so many blows.
Careful de-rusting and polishing of the shaft paid dividends in reduced
blistering.

I used a 12lb fence post hammer to compact the area the size of
a paving slab, to stand a water butt on. It seemed to work OK,
although the angle and position of use to have the hammer face
hit square on the ground would have made it impractical for any
area much bigger than that.

Thanks for the info.

Alex.