John B

Alan Smithee wrote:
I'm building a narrow-tall shelf for a friend. Using three-quarter inch ply.
It's over 8' tall and about 21" wide. About 7or 8 shelves which I'm dadoing
into the sides. The friend doesn't want a back on it though and I'm afraid
the whole thing may lack stability. What should I do? Tell 'em it needs a
back or it might fall apart? Reinforce with gussets? Or just glue the dados
and hit it with some brads and clamp the be-jesus out of it? Thx.

G'day Alan,
Another idea is to do a good plinth, about 150 (6")and put some 75 - 100
(3" - 4") rails under the top and and a few of the shelves at the back.
With the shelves trenched into the ends a reasonable amount this should
give enough support. You can always out a couple fixings through the
rails into the wall.
regards
John