Gunner

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:44:56 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

In I got a computer virus...any suggestions? on Wed, 03 Aug 2005
07:35:24 GMT, by Gunner, we read:

My $#@!! kid turned off the firewall (again) and downloaded something
with a nasty malware called W32/Gaelicum.A

Its infected virtually every .exe file in both my server and my
personal computer. Im posting from my non-networked laptop.

It only effects flles with a .exe extension, but thats thousands of
files on all 4 computers on the network. There is very little info on
the net about it, AVG has only been able to detect it for a week or
so.

It appears to be a trojan of some sort.

Anyone got any suggestions of cleaning the sumbitch, other than a full
hard drive format..which means I have to format at least 14
drives...sigh

The #@$%!!! kid lost all acess to the network..his computer has been
removed from the net, and its not a computer Im going to fix. This was
the last straw.....his box just became a doorstop.

Gunner

As W32/Gaelicum.A is new and is apparently not fully understood,
I would erase the drive and start over.

Need better prevention.

First, you could use a router with a builtin firewall that
will block all queries to the vulnerable ports, 138, 139, etc.
that allow access to a computer. That way individual computer
firewalls become secondary.

Second, for guests or other users, you can isolate their
computers from others on your network.

Third, you can rig one computer on your network to be primary
and only allow changes to other computers and the router, to
come from this one. Then you can secure this computer by
password.

Im on dialup. Each computer has a modem. If I were on broadband..it
would be easy to set up a firewall/proxy server, and use it also for a
community (household) message board etc etc...but...there is no way Im
gonna pay $49,99 for cable modem, not when I dont even have basic
cable TV service. Cant afford it.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli