Gunner

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:54:46 GMT, xray
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 06:51:21 GMT, (The Watcher) wrote:

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:11:41 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Rifleman" wrote in message

"Gunner" Try this before you panic old friend
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...w32.licum.html

good luck and dont go to hard on the kid

Bull****. Go hard on the kid. Then ease up.

I see no reason to ease up. The kid turned off the firewall (again). Looks like
he had some idea he knew what he wanted to do. Sounds to me like he used up all
the slack he had coming. :/
This is something important
that he has to learn.

What's all this firewall stuff got to do with it? Maybe I'm missing
something. Did this infection come from something the kid downloaded, or
just from a vulnerability that was opened up with the firewall down?
What did the kid want to do that motivated him to bypass the firewall?

I'm curious about exactly what caused the infection. I can see that if
you have more than one machine and there is an infection, that firewall
problems could let it spread, but where did this one come from?

None of this will help Gunner now, but maybe more details could help
others not get into the same situation.

He took the firewall down to do online gaming and chatting. He claimed
it would freeze his system or slow it down.

It now sucks to be him.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli