Gunner

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:11:52 -0700, Offbreed
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

I have a linux box..which at the moment will not recognize that the
modem, which it does recognize and dials, is what I want to use for
internet access. It dials out properly and when I try to browse or use
Pan, or any internet acess program..cant find the net. I was using a
proxy server via one of the MS boxes prior to scrounging an external
modem.

Sounds like the problem I'm having with RedHat 7.2. (ISA modem, hardware
jumper for com port and IRQ)

Ive got a external modem on it. Linux likes externals as they are
pretty much cut and dried. Some of the new distros have decent
hardware scanning and can find internals..but..Ive never found an
internal that was really 100% compatable.

If I "run from CD", it works fine, recognizes the modem, dials out
properly, etc etc. But its much slower than having it installed on the
PC.

Ill load up Fedora over the weekend, as its next on my list of distros
to try and see what it does. I really like Mepis though....and the
latest Knoppix, both are pretty much plug and play.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli