DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
This week's set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

418) I saw a mention of this as being spikes for logger's boots
when I entered this thread at the wrong point, so I can't claim
a guess on this one.

419) Perhaps part of a cell phone? Where would I have seen it? I
don't watch much TV, and I don't read popular magazines, so if
those were possible places, I would not have seen it.

420) Pipe ID deburing reamer -- held in standard old drill brace
(hand-cranked drill with a shape like this;

|-+ +===---\\\\
| |
+-====-+

(view with a fixed pitch font like Courier to avoid image distortion)

421) The function of these is to punch one to four equally spaced
holes across the width of something.

If the spikes were not metal connected to the metal frame of the
pliers, I could see it as being used to probe a flat cable of
some sort.

As it is, I think that it is for punching holes across a leather
belt to allow lacing it to another similar belt (probably the
other end of the same belt) to produce a continuous drive belt.
The smallest such drive belt that I have seen was 1" wide (used
to drive lathes or milling machines), but I could imagine one
which was smaller -- perhaps in something like a tape recorder,
(except that the variations that the lacing would produce would
introduce speed errors into a recorder).

422) This looks to me to be a traveler's portable sundial. The
compass is to properly orient it, and the two angled boards
(whose angles are set according to the traveler's current
latitude) are to read the time -- one for the Northern
hemisphere, and the other for the Southern hemisphere.

It would help to be able to read Chinese, which I can't, so I
can find no confirmation for my guesses.

423) Old-fashioned sheep shears -- with broken blade tips. These
look to me like what would have been used in a shearing shed in
Australia.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564