Jim Sehr

I ran a company that made bearings. And we had a Inconel job that was a
spherical bearing and when we
had a visit from an inspector for a first article on the part
he almost pulled the job because we had a lead hammer
on the bench by the lathe. he said the bearing could be
contaminated by even using the hammer on the lathe jaws. Jim

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:42:28 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

SNIP
Having worked one summer in Plant Protection - I know a little about
different
metals for tools.

Consider yourself in a paint room - this is a 5000 sq ft or so building /
block house
that has a 100,000 gallon CARDOX tank outside. The Phone is larger than
most
home printers. All tools are Bronze because they won't spark if dropped
or just used. Wrenches are Bronze..... Bronze is strong. It can be a
soft
steel replacement. Copper is just to soft for real tools, but hammers
that beat
copper might be copper so they don't import foreign materials into the
surface.

Always a unique reason - medical or sparking or weight...

Martin

Hey Martin,

Hmmmm.... rather than pure bronze, more likely to have been
beryllium, which is REALLY tough stuff and forgeable, and are the
normally supplied tools for explosion/hazardous environment.

But I know the feeling you describe about that type of plant!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.