IMM

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:30:36 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 18:18:39 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

Andy Hall

I'm reminded of some of the famous judgments by Lord Denning,

former
Master of the Rolls. He would apply the common-sense principles

of
village life in his native Whitchurch to quite complex legal

matters
and achieve a fair outcome.

That old nazi? The man wasn't right in the head and hadn't been for
years. He was a disgrace to the office he held.

What a ridiculous remark.

Well said ! If only we had some of his common sense judgements nowadays
rather than some of the eye-openers that occur far too regularly.

I found some extracts from some of them:

http://www.fact-index.com/a/al/alfre...n_denning.html

The Miller vs. Jackson case is very pertinent to this thread and
Denning sums up the point very eloquently.

"In summer time village cricket is the delight of everyone" was how
Lord Denning MR famously began his judgment in Miller v Jackson [1977]
1 QB 966, 976. An injunction had been granted to local householders
who complained of cricket balls landing in their gardens. Lord Denning
feared that, if it were upheld, cricket would cease in the village and
"the young men will turn to other things"

He held that the public interest in the playing of cricket should
prevail over the individual interests of the householders, and,
instead of the injunction, awarded £400 for past and future
inconvenience.

I don't know what the outcome of the "Hook the street trader" case
was, but the introduction to the judgment is hilarious.

He was a demented old fool.