The Natural Philosopher

Default Chemical sink + drain unblockers - any good?

Abso wrote:

My washing m/c, which is connected for drainage at the kitchen sink has
just *almost* flooded the kitchen by means of overfilling the sink when
draining. Now I'm no expert, but that tells me there's a blockage
between the sink and the main drain.

I've tried a traditional plunger on the kitchen sink, and a syringe
type plunger but both merely blow crap out of the overflow (straight
down my shirt, lovely). I can't think of a way to block the overflow
to increase the pressure so I'm looking for alternatives.

I've come across the Mr Muscle range of two products, details he

http://www.mrmuscleonline.co.uk/page3.html

.. is this kind of product any good? Are there alternative approaches
I could use? TIA.

Chepaaer is to get some caustic soda - not washing soda - and dribble it
down the plughole.

Then pour a kettle of hot water down.

And stand clear of the corrosive fuming boiling mess that results.

A few doses of this usually does teh trick.

I will not get flamed by people telling you how dangerous this is. Which
it is. Don't let it spalsh in your eyes, and wear old clothing.

Wash any splashes off with cold water ASDAP as it does sting a little,
and can leave a bit of a moinor burn if you leave it. Its very bad for
eyes tho.