ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm wondering what upgrade options people would commonly have
the builder installed for them, and what they'd do themselves
afterwards.

If you do afterwards, would you hire someone (e.g. from Home
Depot, or Lowe's) to help, say, on overall design (e.g. from
blinds, adding doors, full-length mirrors, lighting fixtures)
and on installation.

I wouldn't buy a cookie cutter house from a McBuilder who offered 'options'
in the first place. This is a house we were talking about, not a Chevy. Go
with a custom house from an independent, or if the budget won't stand that,
buy a 1970-something pre-existing house (probably better built than the
cookie cutter anyway). Note that 'custom house' doesn't have to mean
high-dollar yuppie drywall mansion. There are plety of independents out
there that will either custom design 'normal people' houses from scratch, or
modify a design from their library. That way, you get what you actually
want, not just get to pick the finish trim on the same house every 3rd
family in the subdivision has a twin or mirror image of. As to the interior
gee-gaws like blinds and paint schemes and light fixtures- if you or your
S.O. don't have a clear idea of what you want, a custom builder will have
stacks of catalogs, and contacts with local interior designers and 'trade
only' showrooms. A good house designer will know what works in the spaces
they design.

/rant mode off. I detest cookie cutters- my old man was a custom builder,
and not just for rich people. But different strokes, etc. If the chain
builder has one you like, at a price you like, more power to you.

aem sends....