Nobody asked me, but ... I prefer to use at least (2) push-sticks.
Typically thin-section ply, about 2 x 12 in, with suitable notch(es)
cut into one end.

With work to rt of blade, stick in left hand holds piece down and
against fence; right mainly pushes.

Nothing too fancy, so hitting stick with blade is no big deal.
Certainly nothing to prompt any reaction. This is important- let the
sticks get hit, which they will, and stay calm while cutting more.

Keeping paws at least a foot from blade while pushing towards anywhere
in its vicinity is a great idea, as you and your teacher seem to opine.

Of course, you can use combo of side- and down-pushing featherboards as
you desire. Very beneficial for safety, if done carefully.

HTH,