George

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the help. For the record:
1) I do have a live center(ball-bearing) in the tailstock
2) I found I got more catches with my gouge than with my oland....go
figure (maybe need to talk to the CFO/SWMBO about upgrading gouge)
3) Will keep an eye out for better firewood

Saw the cross if you can. Sharpen with a file as advertised, and tap the
prongs in with a _wooden_ mallet. Metal is going to peen the end of the
taper.

For a suggestion on gouge angles for roughing - though these are for bowls,
take a peek at http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...20Pictures.htm

If you want a look at spindle roughing angles, name your gouge type, and I
can e-mail a couple of suggestions of the thousand-word kind.