Roger Taylor

"query" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am buying a small old house with pier and beam. Some of the cedar
piers need replacing and the crawl space under the house is tight. One
company quoted me over $15,000 for the repairs (for an under 1,000 sq.
ft. house). I just want to repair or replace the obviously rotted piers
and beams. What are the pros and cons of this approach? I'm also
going to look for someone who can do the work less expensively. The
entire foundation/house is not worth an expensive remodel, as the next
buyer will probably scrape and start over.
Thanks for your advice.

That indeed sounds high for this sized house.
As another poster said, best to get multiple estimates from contractors -
preferably that neighbors have been happy with, and check the Better
Business Bureau to eliminate those contractors with "histories". Also, you
would be well advised to find out why the rot is there, and address that, as
well. Caused by termites, moisture, what? Also, keep in mind the first
estimate likely included removing piers, footings, jacking up the house, and
repouring footings, and replacing piers and anchors - potentially a big job
in narrow crawl space. Once you get several bids, and begin to understand
the scope of the challenge, you might even consider having it done in
stages. A house levelling company to brace and place jacks, taking the
weight off the piers, then having a laborer clear out the piers (and
footings if they have subsided), some of the dirt and debris out for easier
working, then find a qaulified foundation engineer to specify the next
steps, etc. Sometimes limited crawlspace accessibility and debris under the
house alone, will scare off contractors, who bid crazily, just to see if you
blink.
Good Luck.