CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Dennis Turner wrote:
On 7/27/2005 9:29 PM or thereabouts, miamicuse appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

I am exploring cutting a 36"x36" hole through the 8" concrete slab in my
kitchen to access a sewer line for repair.

Called a few concrete contractors and one told me he will use a
jackhammer
to punch the hole (cost $300) and the other told me he will use a saw
(cost
$500). The jackhammer will probably spray dust in all directions and
shake
loose some copper pipes in walls. The saw will make a clean cut
according
to the contractor but he told me "imagine starting a motor cycle
immersed in
a mud puddle"...this does not sound promising. Is there a way to do
this to
minimize dust and mess? I am willing to pay a bit more for a cleaner
procedure.

Also, if they use a saw, does it mean it is a big mean machine they will
move from my door to the kitchen and along the way it may scratch the
tiles
along it's path?

Thanks,

MC

I had a couple of leaks under the slab repaired in my previous home. My
plumber brought a jackhammer and chopped out the hole needed himself in
just a few minutes time. Of course, we're talking about holes that are
somewhat smaller than your 36x36. I replaced the dirt, compacted it to
the best of my ability, and poured ready mix in to patch up the holes.
Then I replaced the broken ceramic tiles and grouted them. No problems
at all after several years. One leak was in the kitchen and the other in
the downstairs half bath.

i had plumbers in my house yesterday. They used jackhammer. Again the
jackhammer proves much cleaner than the saw.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert