Chris Lewis

According to chester :

In Canada, you ALWAYS have a ground wire. Ie: in Canada a 14/2 will
actually have three strands of copper - two insulated (the "/2") and
one uninsulated (not mentioned explicitly). In the US, the ground
isn't always assumed, so there is such things as 14/2 with only two
conductors and no ground. To be sure of things, we're using the
Canadian convention, and in the US, tack on "with ground" to the wire
designation to be sure.

Well in the US, most wiring is labeled 12/2 with ground. 12/3 witll have
3 insulated wires, with a bare gound, "in my experience". I am sure
there are exceptions.

I only mention it because the "with ground" is implicit in Canada (you
can't buy wiring suitable for residential wiring without it), and AFAIK,
you can still buy wire without it in the US, so the "with ground" should
be stated to be absolutely sure you get what you want.

Well, I need two circuits, and that is it I would anticipate. I need one
for ruunnning lighting (one over head flourescent, and one other
probably incandenscent). Probably also a TV and /or a cumputer. The only
big draw I could imagine adding to this circuit is a excercise tredmill.
I have no idea what the draw is on those, so I guess I will need to
check.

AFAIK, they're usually under 10A.

I will look into the 30A subpanel, but would lean on just running two
12/2 w/ground out through some pvc conduit as the easiest option.

As a personal preference (and I think preferred by codes), I'd do
this with a single 12/3 NMW (or UF) and tie-barred breaker, and just
inside the shed I'd split it into two 12/2 branches. You sometimes save
a bit of money, and it's a little easier to install.

Buried PVC conduit? You don't have to with NMW (UF), tho, the burial depth
requirement is a little deeper. You'll need to check for what the burial
requirements are in your area. You shouldn't use ordinary NM/NMD regardless.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est