William Brown

Around here there appear to be a lot of people who are in this business
for a few months, then disappear. I would make sure you find someone
who has been in the business a few years, at least.

My suggestion would be to find an irrigation supply store (not Home
Depot, etc.) and ask them for a list of good established contractors who
handle residential work (some only do farms, golf courses, etc.) and
pick someone from that list.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, I would ask the
installer for
1. Drains built into the system so you don't need to have it blown out
each year.
2. A map showing where the lines run, in case you will be doing some
digging later, or lose a head (my grass grows over some heads during the
winter, and they can be hard to find in the spring, even if you know
about where they are.
3. A spare control valve or two on the manifold, in case you want to
add, for instance, a drip watering system later, or another zone.
4. Sufficient filtering to protect the valves and heads.
5. Some people like installing a device that injects fertilizer into
the water; personally, I think that is overkill.

Bonnie Jean wrote:
I am considering having an irrigation system put in for my lawn and
flower beds, either late this fall or next spring.

What should I look for in an installer? Does someone need a lot of
experience and expertise to do this? Should I insist on a certain brand
of materials? I am clueless about this so any advise is greatly
appreciated.

Bonnie in NJ