Brian Sharrock

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:58:28 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:32:11 +0100, "Slurp" wrote:

Fitted several of those GU10 lighting units to the kids bedrooms - 4
GU10's
in each! - after the honeymoon period of about 2 months when all the el
cheapo GU10's that come with the units started to pop, discovered GU10's
where about a fiver each in the local sheds...

then discovered screwfix do the cheapo 1500 hour (LOL) ones for about 3
quid

then discovered Tesco's do a 'value' version (1500 hour - LOL) for
1.98.......

Today I was in the local B&Q - they are flogging six packs for £5.98
yep .... couldn't believe it, and they are pukka 2000 hour units ... so
chuffed I bought two six packs.

Hope this info helps

Slurp

What they don't tell you is that it's 2000 hours total for all six :-)

IME the better s/fix ones (branded Osram IIRC) do actually last.
The cheaper ones don't.

If you are a man with some time available then it should be possible to
buy a batch of bulbs and prove the 2000 hours is a lie. Then get trading
standards to take on B&Q and Tesco.

It's outside of my knowledge of statistics but does anyone know how many
bulbs you would have to get and how short their lives would have to be to
get, say, 99% certain that the bulb are being misrepresented? How certain
would you have to be to put the matter 'beyond reasonable doubt'?

Don't quote me
.... but AIUI, the nnnn hours life is predicated
on the 50% 'Life'; one gets say 100 units and power
them 'ON' simultaneously, _when_ the 50th unit fails
that's the nnnn hour "Life". Note this doesn't mean
that _your_ bunch of things will last nnnn hours!
Someone, somewhere, somewhen will end up saying;-
'I bought these in YYYY and they've lasted eons -
while someone else is saying; - "I bought these yesterday
and they've failed already" {The retailer/manufacturer
is still saying truthfully ; 'the life is nnnn hours".

--

Brian