Robinson

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:11:37 GMT, "Gene T"
wrote:

Hello all,
I am repairing 2 Danish made stools for my friend's parents. The top
consists of this brownish twine woven across the rails. The twine consists
of three twisted strands that are in turn twisted together to form a cord
that looks a lot like strips of brown grocery paper twisted together. Is
anyone familiar with this type of material? If I can ID it maybe I can
order some replacement for the repair. Thanks for any help.
Gene

This is called "fiber rush" and you can get it from lots of suppliers.
The best deal I found was at Chair Seat Weaving, link below:

http://www.chairseatweaving.com/fiberrushkit.htm

The kit to do one chair seat is $12.90 plus shipping, what you could
do is get a kit and another lot of rush for $8.49, that will give you
enough to do 2 chairs. You want to measure the diameter of the rush so
you will know what size to order.

After reweaving the chair seats, you will want to put a coat of
varnish or polyurethane top and bottom to help protect and strengthen
the seat. I have a 100-yr-old ladder back chair I'm going to reweave
this winter (when it's too cold to be in the shop!) -- the seat
presently on it is fiber rush, and it's held up well. It would have
held up better if a new coat of varnish had been put on it
regularly....

Lorri