charles jones

Hi James,

You don't say where in the UK that you live. There are lots of woodturning
clubs around where you can talk to turners for freely given advice. At my
club, The Oxford Woodturners, we have frequent demonstrations by
professional turners and 'hands on' evenings where you can have a go. The
best way forward is to WATCH, MIMIC and PRACTICE. See how the demonstrator
gets a particular shape, go home and mimic how he achieved it and then
practice what you have learned. There are always members willing to help
'newbys'.
Just make shapes to start with, coves, beads etc,. The rest will follow.
I usually go to my lathe and just have five minutes making shavings before I
start a project. This then gets me set up mentally for the job in hand.
When you start turning, keep your first pieces of work so that as you
progress in proficiency you can look back and reassure yourself that all the
practice has been worth it. Turning is a very therapeutic and rewarding
hobby so persevere,don't worry if things don't always end up as you had
hoped and welcome to the world of woodturning.

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Student Workshop Supervisor
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410
mob 07833392589
"James Williams" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I am new to woodturning and am looking for basic woodturning projects
anyone
got any plans they can send me. I have not made any on the lathe yet what
is
the first thing i should turn. I need all the help i can get my hands on.

James