Mark Evans

Default Buying a new drill

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I have been using a 30V cordless "challenge" drill from argos for about
3years and it has served me well. It does struggle a bit when drilling
into concrete lintels.

Any percussion drill will struggle, including powerful mains ones. You
need an SDS type - they *really* do go through concrete like a hot knife
through butter. You'd be looking at a mains one, though - cordless types

Depends how big the hole needs to be. With a 6mm hole it will be more or
less instant. For a 16mm hole it takes a little while, for anything over
20mm it can take minutes... (With rebar making things difficult.)

are an arm and a leg.

The cordless types can also be heavier than the mains, because the
battery pack is far from lightweight.