SteveB

I am considering having an irrigation system put in for my lawn and
flower beds, either late this fall or next spring.

What should I look for in an installer? Does someone need a lot of
experience and expertise to do this? Should I insist on a certain brand
of materials? I am clueless about this so any advise is greatly
appreciated.

Bonnie in NJ

Ask around. You have some time. Check with neighbors and friends. Call
for estimates.

Now, an endless list of small details, should you care to read on:

This ain't rocket surgery, but there are a lot of small fine points that can
make the difference in plants making it or not.

Water pressures need to be different. The water pressure going to the
plants need to be reduced, or they will just blow the little hoses off the
main trunk line when the manifold kicks on and all that pressure hits at
once. That is a simple thing to do. If an installer says you don't need
them, pass on that installer.

The types of emitters, bubblers, sprayers, and watering terminus needs to be
different for each plant. An installer that uses all one type is suspect.

The timer needs to be up to the application.

Filters may be a good idea depending on the water quality.

Placing of sprinklers in the lawn is critical.

Knowing how to place these with the least amount of digging is not something
everyone knows.

There are as many different types of sprinklers for lawns as there are for
plants. To someone who knows this, selection will be easy. Coverage will
be correct with the lawn getting the right amount of water.

Specialty planting areas are easy to do for plants that need special
watering different from the rest.

It is all Tinker-Toy easy to someone who has done it a couple of hundred
times.

But for a beginner, or an inexperienced person, or just someone sloppy, it
can be daunting.

Expect that you will have to change some things even after the system gets
going. If you get the one system that works perfectly from the start, I'd
like to hear about it.

Usually local nurseries will give you a free list of all you need if you
take in a scale drawing. Ours do. It won't make any sense to you, but you
will sure know if someone is charging you for too much stuff. Don't tell
the bidder about your list, and see how close he figures it. One who hits
it close will know what he's doing.

Listen for confidence and straight answers from a bidder. Listen for one
who will tell you just how long it will take.

Lots to consider, but not hard. Go around yourself and familiarize yourself
with what you can ahead of time. You can then care for the system and do
basic simple repairs instead of having $50 service calls three times a
month.

Steve