George E. Cawthon

PipeDown wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message
.. .

Knowing that Asbestos now banned in many jurisdictions.

I need to put a heat shield above my wood stove flue because where it
enters the masonry it is only 14 inches below the floor joists above, not
the required 18 inches. Shield will be fastened to and spaced about one
inch below the ceiling joists meeting Fire Dept. inspection and insurance
requirements.

Happen to have a suitable piece quarter inch asbestos sheet which needs
trimming. The cutting length will be about 30 inches. Also will drill four
or six holes. Probably do this by hand rather than power tools to avoid
cracking the sheet and/or blowing dust around.

Intend to cut outside with asbestos soaking wet, wearing a mask. And will
carefully wipe up and bury any wet dust/residue underground under trees.

Any comments on this please.

Or maybe should I just fashion a piece of sheet metal for a heat shield?

Later if/when I 'finish' the existing vertical poured concrete wall behind
the wood stove, a similar spacing situation will occur and a heat shield
may be required behind the burning unit itself.

why wouild you install a health hazard which you need to disclose in writing
to the next buyer (who will want you to remove it anyway) when you can just
go to HD and buy a sheet of cement backer board for $10. If you have the
tools to fashon sheet metal then I think that is a no-brainer.

Really, would you use a can of old Lead paint if you had one?

You should paint the asbestos board, put it in a plastic bag, label it and
bring it to the dump on household haz mat day (if you have one) before you
are tempted to use it again.

I agree with your first part and there are
alternatives to asbestos. If I were the OP, I
would go ahead and do the asbestos and install it
and have it inspected. I would use hand tools
outside, but that is the only precaution.

After the inspection, I would remove it and
install a sheet of thin aluminum as a shield held
2-3 inches above the horizontal pipe. It should
be slightly curved and can be held on the pipe
with thin aluminum struts. That will provide
much more safety than the asbestos sheet. The
asbestos sheet will get hot and will transfer heat
to the ceiling structure. The shield will not
transfer heat directly to the ceiling and the
radiant heating will be very small. In fact, the
temperature of the ceiling will probably only rise
4-5 degrees above the rest of the ceiling.

Ask me how I know. Because I have tested thin
aluminum shields. The approved ceramic barrier
behind my stove would get very hot, but
interposing a sheet of aluminum between the stove
and the ceramic barrier resulted in the barrier
temperature rising insignificantly more than the
air temperature in the room.