Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/03/05 03:19 pm CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The Ugly Book says you have up to about 50 feet or a little more for
the 50 amp ability and 50 amp breaker. Your well under with 30 feet.

This is odd, could you explain that to me? I am an automotive systems
engineer and I design the wiring for automobiles. The length of wire
has nothing to do with the fuse rating. The device on the end of the
wire also has nothing to do with the fuse rating.

Well ok, some devices can terminate a few different sizes of wire, and
this is a physical thing, nothing to do with current amount but with
diameter, etc.

So why does wire length matter for breaker size in a home?

I assume that he means that a longer wire will result in a larger
voltage drop, so one would use a larger wire to reduce the resistance
and the voltage drop -- and a correspondingly higher-rated breaker to go
with the larger wire.

Perce