PipeDown

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Will probably be replacing a standard house circuit breaker with a surge
protector circuit breaker to provide protection for a furnace board that
seems to be pretty succeptible to lightning strikes (please see my

The furnace runs off a dedicated 15 amp line, protected by its own breaker
in the main house panel.

Apparently they come in two flavors.

One being the standard "surge protector," and the other type a "transient
voltage surge protector".

They both seem to be available incorporated into 15 amp circuit breakers
that fit in the main house panel box.

Which do I probably want ?

Why ? What are the differences re protection, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

I think they are the same thing but if there is a difference, I would expect
the transient one to react faster but not significantly different. To
compare, you want to look at the amount of energy they will absorb in the
event of a surge. This is usually in units of Joules if it is even listed.
It will protect you from a modist surge from a distant strike but probably
will fry if you get a direct strike. It's sacrifice may save something else
down the line though.

I got one that is the size of a double breaker and the model number was
listed on the inside sticker of the panel's door. I got it just for CYA
purposes cause we don't get much lightning here in SF bay area but surges
can happen when equipment fails during wind storms or car accidents with
utility poles. Hard to say if it ever did anything.

From an engineering POV, Transients are short duration events while surges
can last quite a bit longer but as long as they are temporary, can be called
transient as well.