John B

BobS wrote:
Charlie,

Having had to do this several times - I found out what was causing it on
mine at least. Obviously the high temp of the two dissimilar materials -
glass and metal but the main reason was that the mirror base was not flat
and even had a small, sharp bump in the casting. I did the Scary Harp
routine on it, cleaned the glass and base with alcohol then applied some
standard CA (super glue) and that mirror hasn't budged. The car is in Fla
now with my mother-in-law and its still attached. So look at the base
closely.

Bob S.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

George wrote:

"JoeTaxpayer" wrote in message

I had a small can of shellac (half pint) with a press on (not screw-on)
lid, sitting on a basement shelf. Today I noticed a wet floor, though
the
toilet leaked.
They saw the can on its side, the bottom buckled as if pressure built
up
inside, finnally exploding the can open, and pouring itself on my
floor.

WTF?? Is this 'normal'? Anything else down there ready to explode?

Anything else with relatively high vapor pressure that you put away cold
and
allow to heat up. That's one reason for screw-on lids.

Never left a bit of cold soda in the bottom of the bottle and closed the
windows on the pickup?

Don't open it near anything you care for.

Yeah, well...I just went out to my little pick-up and found the damned
rear view mirror (with two overly heavy map lights) hanging by its
wires.

This heat is a real joy. We go years barely seeing 90, and this year, I
think we've had at least 10 days well into the 90s, most of them mid or
high. Pfui.

I'll have to drive the dangler into town, get glue, scrape and clean
and reinstall.

Back in '74 I brought a brand new Falcon. A bout 4 weeks after purchase
I took my Girl Friend (Now Wife) to the drive in. Had a mate and his
sheila in the back seat. Very proud of my new shiny red car. Set the car
up on the hump, and reached up to move the mirror out of the way so
those in the back seat could see. Yep ended up with the whole bloody
thing in my hand. Major embarrassment. Took the car back to Ford, as it
was under warranty and had the mirror re fixed. A couple of weeks later
found the mirror laying on the front seat. Took the car back to dealer,
had it fixed. A while later while driving the bloody thing fell of
again. Took the mount of, mixed some 2 part epoxy, jammed it in place
with a piece of 2 x 1 from the rear seat to windscreen until dry. That
mirror never came of again.
Regards
John