Prometheus

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:08:14 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
I wouldn't worry awfully much about thermite, though. Even if you try
and make it intentionally, it's not all that easy to do. Iron or Iron
Oxide needs to be extremely fine, ditto for the aluminum, they need to
be mixed properly in the correct proportions, and it requires burning
magneisum or something equally hot to light it (which needs a
blowtorch to ignite in and of itself.)

Hmmm. I recall a kid who got in trouble for placing magnesium wire in the
candle snuffer at church. It ignited without a blowtorch. Of course, I've
always felt God has a sense of humor. No other way to explain some of the
phenomena of daily life.

Could be a matter of surface area to volume ratio. I know the little
bits I played with back in high school chemistry needed a blowtorch,
or at least one of those butane *jet* lighters to ignite it. Might
have had something else in it to allow it light more easily as well,
never can tell what someone else has got going on, after all!