Prometheus

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:26:16 -0400, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Prometheus

We have lots of box elder up here in south-west Ontario, it's looked
upon as a weed tree, not my favorite wood, usually there is no red
streaking in them, it seems only damage to the tree will trigger the red
coloration, a lot of the trees do have some burl or figure in the wood
though.

Ah... if that's the case, perhaps it's not worth looking for it
specifically. I figured the red was something akin to the nice
double-grained (for lack of a better term) bits in Birch and Beech.
Here, in Wisconsin (at least where I'm at) Maples are the weed tree,
though the ones that survive the lawn mowers and grow to a respectable
size are still appreciated by most.

As for you looking for the trees in the forest, I would say that's the
wrong place, they don't seem to do well in the competition of a forest,
around here you will find them mostly in corners of peoples back yard,
fence rows, open waste places etc.

Good tip, I'll keep that in mind. I just mainly use the forest with
my deadfall permit, and keep visiting the trees I like after each
storm to see if they've been struck down. Getting on to people's
backyards and fencerows seems like either a good way to make friends,
or to get punched in the eye. Not knowing how any given person might
react to the idea of a stranger cutting down a tree makes me just kind
of avoid it, though I've made exceptions when there is a tree that is
obviously blocking a driveway or road. Sometimes people appreciate
that kind of help.

So maybe if you look at some different places you might find some, or
ask some of the highway crews or county road department people, they
would know if there is some around I would think

That's a good idea. I'll also check the public hunting grounds- IIRC,
the phesant fields have a couple of narrow rows of tree cover.