Martin MacKenzie

Default Triple 1 way switch wiring.

Many thanks for the speedy reply and info

The black wires are running to the switch point along with the earths that
you mention making a total of 12 wires!!! A lot to hide behind a switch.
The earth cables are already sleeved so its just a case of finding a couple
of earth points on the back.

There is one other ceiling light in the room I am talking about - As this
socket I am working is fed directly from the fusebox I am assuming that this
other light is fed from the rose of the light I am trying to wire up - does
this sound about right? I'll check tomorrow to be sure.

Thanks again
Martin

Are all the black wires running to the switch point as well ?

You might also have bare copper earth connecting conductors in the box

that will
need to be covered in green / yellow coloured plastic sleeving and placed

in the
earthing terminal of the back box, or to a screw terminal block, to keep

them
out of the way and make sure they don't touch anything else. Do this

first to
get them out of the way.

The red wires should be connected to either the "L1" or "L2" side of the
switches depending on which way you want the switches to operate, i.e. up

for
on, or down for on. The supply red is connected with links of red wire of

the
same size to each of the "COM" (common) terminals.

All the black coloured wires should be connected together inside an

insulated
screw terminal block (chocolate block) and wrapped in some insulating tape

make sure none of the bare copper can touch against the metalwork of the

back
box or the switch plate. You can tuck the block into a corner of the back

box
first to keep it out of the way when you put switch back on.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com