JohnM

Ignoramus20106 wrote:
So, I made a self starting phase converter that starts an idler using
a start capacitor.

That made me think, I just used a way to run a 3 phase motor on single
phase power, by adding a capacitor. Can I make an electronic device
made of capacitors and perhaps a timeout or some other relay, that
would simply start 3 phase motors. That would obviate the need for the
idler.

My own thought here is to wire it like the self starting capacitor
works: a cap between leg 1 and 3.

After starting, the 3 phase motor can run on single phase.

The only disadvantage to this that I can think of, is possibly low
starting torque. Perhaps that can be rectified by wiring it using
some other method.

I am sure that people smarter than me have already thought about all
these things, but I am curious about this question.

I've got a couple of 3ph. pedestal grinders that I run with sort of low
starting capacitance (slow starting, the 12" takes about 3 seconds to
come up to speed) and no extra switches or anything, just leave the
capacitors in the circuit. They seem to no mind running that way, used
'em for a few years now.

John