Chip

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:24:44 +0100,it is alleged that "Harry
Bloomfield" spake thusly in
uk.d-i-y:

Grunff explained on 03/08/2005 :
Alex wrote:

This is the bell I bought:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/p...ProductID=3782

Yes, that's an AC bell (clue: "...can only be operated using a transformer.")

It will work perfectly on AC or DC, the problem is that it would need a
rather large battery and expensive battery.

I have seen 2 different designs of these, one is the standard 'break
the contacts as soon as the armature moves, rinse and repeat' trembler
bell action which IS ac or dc compatible, and one uses a magnetised
core (generally much smaller in size than the trembler one) to operate
in sync with the 50Hz AC mains. If this is one of the latter, or one
of the former in a badly adjusted state, it would give the symptoms
described.

--
There are three things which I consider excellent advice. First, don't
smoke to excess. Second, don't drink to excess.