Sparks

"Alex" wrote in message
My grandmother's door bell stopped working (one that's mains powered, via
a "hard of hearing" box which also makes a series of lights flash in her
house), so I bought a new "mains powered" 8V bell from B&Q. It doesn't
work properly though; it rings once when you press the button in, and once
again when you release it. I'm guessing the bell wants AC but is getting
DC. It doesn't say on the packaging or the instructions whether it wants
AC - only "8V 1 amp". Are most mains powered bells AC?

Most mechanical bells, that are designed for connection to a transformer,
rather than batteries that I have seen, are AC - Isn't there an AC symbol on
the bell
~ is AC
a line with a dashed line is DC - like a =, but one of the lines being
dashed)

Sparks...