SteveB

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I was browsing the MSC catalog and came across a page of soft hammers.
Brass, of course, but also copper, bronze, zinc, aluminum, lead, and
babbitt. I can see lead (the softest), copper (harder), and brass
(somewhat harder yet). But bronze and zinc are about the same hardness
as brass (?), and about the same density. What distinguishes these
three from each other, as far as their use in hammers?

My guess would be personal preference, and material being worked on. I once
bought a hammer that had a rubber striking surface, and a yellow plastic
surface. I used it on some light sheet metal I worked on at the time. It
wasn't until years later that I found out it was a glazer's hammer.

I have seen deadblows, brass, rawhide, plastic, rubber of all hardnesses,
wood, and a few things I can't think of right now.

I am sure they all were the perfect hammer for the person using it and the
purpose.

Never forget. A guy can't have too many tools. It's nice to go get that
perfect tool even when you only need it once a year. Case in point
........... impact driver. I got one I use about once a year. The other
day, I needed to get a machine screw out that otherwise would have been a
booger. Now, back to its little metal box until next year.

Steve