jim rozen

Default Running 3 phase motors from single phase

In article , Ignoramus20106 says...

That made me think, I just used a way to run a 3 phase motor on single
phase power, by adding a capacitor. Can I make an electronic device
made of capacitors and perhaps a timeout or some other relay, that
would simply start 3 phase motors. That would obviate the need for the
idler.

Congratulations, you just invented single phase motors!

You need either a centrifugal switch, or a potential relay,
to implement the idea.

You cannot:

a) plug reverse motors like that, or
b) develop the entire nameplate horsepower

Jim

please reply to: