The Kearsley Curse

x-no-archive: yes

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have a damaged area, (really a gouge) in some T1-11 house siding that I'd
like to repair.
Perhaps 4" x 4" by a fair amount deep. Not sure what caused it as we just
moved in; possibly a squirrel, or woodpeckers, or... ?

It was suggested that I try Bondo.
Good idea, but frankly I hate working with the stuff.

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any other patching material
I can try that would be as effective and permanent as a Bondo patch, but a
lot easier to work with ?

Are there any "permanent" type of caulks ?
Paintable RTV ?
etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

If you are going to use epoxy, then check out a product similar to
this:
http://www.epoxysystems.com/wood.htm

For a hole that size, you need the epoxy to be in a paste consistency,
or it will just run out. But automotive bondo, I would not use, because
with the weather and the expansion and contraction of the wood, it will
most likely fall out.

Here is what we used for a larger project on 30 year old cedar siding:
http://www.lepageproducts.com/produc...d=108&plid=284

But mind you, the above product is a bit runny, so if the hole is deep,
make a plug the size of the diameter of the hole and screw it in. Then
seal over top and around it with the Lepage product. Or do the same
with the epoxy paste.

I have used bondo on wood before where the damage was just nicks and
scrapes and it worked well after it was primed and painted and sealed.
But on a bigger hole, I think it will fall out eventually.