Ken Grunke

Nick wrote:

something other than aluminium might be the go.. maybe copper? I dont have
alot of experience at the metal stuff. I am using a spoon shaped tool, I
whittled and sanded out of some eucalypt. I have been using a liquid wax
polish for lubricant whilst the job is underway.

I wonder if using a steel tool would be more efficient, and allow
forming your shape fast enough so you wouldn't need to anneal more than
once. Use the same spoon shape or a full-round bullet shape, highly
polished, with wax lubricant.
Give it a long handle, so you can use your body to manipulate the tool
and apply more pressure. You might need a secondary tool on the inside
to help keep the unspun metal from buckling.
My wood lathe in it's former life was a dedicated metal spinning
machine. It came with a toolrest consisting of a 1" square by 10" long
steel block, with several holes on the topside for leverage pins.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/