Calvin Henry-Cotnam

chester ) said...

You can only have one circuit going to the shed.

Is that a code thing? I need two circuits, and was planning either to do
two 12g wires running from two 15A breakers, or a larger wire (I guess
based on above post 10g for a 240V/30A circuit),

You can have as many circuits as you wnt in the shed, but do you really
want to pay for multiple home runs back to the main panel?

Here are the options I would consider:

Single 120 V circuit: home run to main panel has two 14 ga (for 15 A) or
two 12 ga (for 12 A) plus ground

Two 120 V circuits: home run to main panel has three 14 ga (for 15 A) or
three 12 ga (for 12 A) plus ground wired to a double
pole breaker

One 240 V circuit: home run to main panel with either two (if no neutral
is needed) or three (if neutral is needed) 14 ga (for
15 A) or 12 ga (if 20 A) plus ground wired to a double
pole breaker

Combinations of more circuits: go with a sub panel in the shed; the home
run consisting of three conductors plus ground wired
to a double pole breaker, and rated to hande 125% of
your worst-case load (i.e.: a 10 ga home run should be
protected by a 30 A breaker, but should only be loaded
to 80% of this value, or 24 A).

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon