Chip

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:45:33 +0100,it is alleged that Tim Mitchell
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

Are they really bright enough? the ones I have seen are not very bright
at all - probably about 10% of a real GU10. They are nice if you want
pretty-pretty but not much good for lighting anything up.

The ones I have are very slightly dimmer than a 20W Halogen. I agree
them not being bright enough on their own for most purposes, but
for our conservatory they seem to work fine. Being LED they are _very_
directional compared to even the narrow beam halogens, but after over
a week of them, I think I like them.

We have 2 fixtures in the 'leanto' conservatory (about 18ft by 8ft),
one at each end. One end contains the dining table, that has retained
its 3x50w Xenon lamps, and the other end with the TV has the 3x1.8w
LEDs. They provide fairly reasonable functional light without too much
glare.

I would agree with the fact that right now, they are best in most
cases for 'accent' lighting, we were unusual in only requiring a
fairly low level of light. Give it another couple of years and I
expect they'll be as good as compact fluorescents.

--
While theoretically and technically television may be feasible,
commercially and financially it is an impossibility.