Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:05:26 +0200, put
finger to keyboard and composed:

me wrote:
I cannot find anywhere replacement capacitor (680 uF, 200V). Can I use
any other value for capacitance? I need two of them replaced
(identical), they are inside switching power supply, the biggest ones.
If you are running on 240VAC you could use a single 330uF 400V cap.

bad idea.

In most switched mode power supplies, in 220V operation, the primary
capacitors are placed in series, so in that case the idea is actually
very usefull. You have to disable the voltage switch, of course.

The switch is open in 240VAC operation so it doesn't need to be
disabled, but removing the two wires is a good precaution. I do it as
a matter of course whenever I open a PC PSU.

- Franc Zabkar