Andrew Gabriel

Default New Electrical Regulations

In article ,
Peter Parry writes:

Well I have just seen a qualified certified NICEIC electrician chimp

NICEIC electrician does not mean 'qualified'.

However, I think the major problem with the new regulations is that
they will encourage far more use of extension leads and similar ad
hoc solutions rather than improvements to fixed installations. This
will decrease safety rather than increase it.

Deaths due to electrical installation faults in the home runs at
around 5 per year, and falling. Deaths due to other accidental
incidents in the home runs at around 2350 per year, most of which
are from slips trips and falls, and although I have no figures,
I'll but many more than 5 of these are already caused by tripping
over extension leads.

Fortunately, I doubt anyone will take any notice of the new regs,
and people will continue to improve the safety of their homes.
This, combined with the Window regs and some other upcoming
Building regs increasingly discredit the building regs as a whole,
which is regrettable. I spoke with my Building Control department
when I did my response to the proposals, and they had this view.
Unfortunately, they were not able to go on record, but they did
privately support me, completely agreed with my response, and
wished me the best of luck.

--
Andrew Gabriel